Was Jesus Insane?

Things on Faith, God, Religion, etc... not forged into a devotional format.
777arkv
Site Admin

Was Jesus Insane?

Post by 777arkv »

Madonna Makes Insane Suggestion for Fighting ISIS AllenBWest.com

After I read the above article, I was struck by a question...
...Should this article be renamed "Jesus Makes Insane Suggestion for Fighting ISIS?"

I'm not in the habit of ignoring truth when it is uncomfortable, and it is uncomfortably true that what Jesus said was much more radical than what Madonna suggested.

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?" - Matthew 5:38-46

Peter also supports the idea that suffering undeservedly is commendable before God.

"For what credit is it if, when you are beaten for your faults, you take it patiently?
But when you do good and suffer, if you take it patiently, this is commendable before God."
- 1 Peter 2:20

Then we also have Jesus own example...
...who did not call down twelve legions of angels to deliver Him from being brutalized, whipped and crucified, (Matthew 26:53)
but instead without a word in his own defense, went willingly to His unjustifiable execution.

He was oppressed and He was afflicted,
Yet He opened not His mouth;
He was led as a lamb to the slaughter,
And as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
So He opened not His mouth.
- Isaiah 53:7

So, what does this all mean?

I do know that there are stories on top of stories of Christian martyrs doing this very thing in times past,
and throughout the world now.

I also know nothing could possibly be more the opposite of the violence of ISIS, than living the example Jesus set...
...and trying to love them, even if it got us killed. That is what truly would set Christianity apart as being different than Islam.

Don't misunderstand me, I do not want to ever find out if I could manage such inhuman love.

However, I may be asked to try someday...

...and that is a very uncomfortable truth.
777ark Vicari†
Attachments
VotM.png
VotM.png (17.45 KiB) Viewed 6924 times
© 2015-2018 Mark Vicari - All Rights Reserved
Archive